Click here to continue read my blog.
Thanks for support and happy clicking,
Sad Agus at http://sadagus.com
(1) Too Late depart, this is a factor of my most fatal mistake, leaving at 2pm, traveling 2 hours, so up on the beach location is already 4pm, not to mention to the photo’s location. As a result I had to hurry and let me not think clearly in doing a photo session after arriving at the beach
(2) Wrong route / track, I brought my GPS only use when driving to the beach location. In fact, I was supposed to use GPS to get to all points at the beach location, as a result I wrong tracked where I was walked hike up and down the hillside steep twisting to get on the beach, plus more haste, I slipped at the end of hill (see photo my toes scratched).
(3) Not use the lens properly, I did not use a telephoto lens aiming coastal landscape from the top of the hill, although there was a fisherman was fishing and walking at shoreline. Likewise my favourite lens, Carl Zeiss 2.8 / 25mm Distagon 58mm which has a filter thread, I did not use it because I forgot to take a step-up adapter 58mm – 77mm for 100mm filter Haida. So I have to frequently move 28mm lens in between two cameras body that I used the Nikon D800 and Nikon FM2, this is a lot of waste of my time.
(4) No foreground, the photo above is not memorable “wow” because there is no foreground. I brought seashells and a flashlight that I can use to shoot as foreground object. In addition, I should be able to be in front of the rocks as foreground too.
However, I will try to fix the error and planned to return to Siung beach and Jogan beach in short time. It is a learning process that had to be got in the way. Technically, I probably could to shoot landscapes, but it makes an element of “wow” in the photograph landscapes is a challenge.
Happy clicking and share your thought,
Sad Agus (Digital & Analog Photographer).
1. Dynamic Range, when the people involved in analog photography, they almost never talk about “dynamic range”, although Ansel Adams divided the dynamic range into what we called “Zone System” (see picture below). This means that the photos produced from analog cameras have 10 stops dynamic range. Meanwhile, if we look at some of today’s digital camera specification, the average has a 5 stops dynamic range. Some pro cameras could be up to 7 stops dynamic range. So analog camera has a wider dynamic range compared with the digital camera.2. Powerful and Simple, today we still can find an analog camera made from 1950’s, even relatively easily find some of 1970’s or 1980’s such as the Nikon F series or Canon A series. And all the equipment is still working properly. Maybe later, we may difficulty looking for a digital camera aged 50 years which still functioning properly. On my first analog camera, I just need a few minutes to understand of the buttons function and I am still remember until now. Meanwhile, on my digital cameras that a lot of buttons, include of combination, the digital camera operation of its more complicated and sometime we have to open the manual book again, again and again. 3. Passion, in the analog era, if someone has a camera, just because they want to record a memorable moment and enjoy it. In addition, because the frame limitations in 35mm film that only averaged of 36 frames shot, most of the analog shooter will tend to well prepare, think and imagine how the results so that optimal and best. Let’s look at now, where almost everyone has a digital camera either from the level of professional, amateur, beginner or just the pleasure of using a cell phone. What is there in front of the eyes, pull the gear, press button and “sharing” in social media right away, then forget later and keep memorize digitally. 4. Sensation, after pressing the shutter button, an analog shooter could not immediately see the results and have to wait until the entire roll of film finished, then process in the dark room in local store and printed. Curiosity time to wait and surprising results when see the result is a “thrill” of the analog shooter. In fact, they often discuss the mistakes and the greatness of the results and they remember all in their lives. The sensation of the era of digital cameras is different, sensations arise after seeing the direct results on the camera’s LCD and the fun comes after comments flattery or criticism from friends in social media. Unfortunately, only view whose remember when, where and why it shot. Digital or Analog?
Sad Agus (Still Geologist and Freelance Photographer)
Haida 150mm filter system is a Lens filter system created by Haida Company, a company located in Ningbo, China, the system is made to provide some ultra wide lens, like the Nikon 14-24mm f / 2.8, Sigma 20mm f / 1.4, Tamron 15- 30mm f / 2.8, Canon 11-24mm 4L USM, Nikon 14mm f / 2.8D, where the lens does not have all the conventional filter thread on the front lens.
Basically, the filter system consists of two parts: the first part, filter HOLDER and the second part filter Gazette. Part holder may consist of several parts of the set ring and clamp filter circuit. While its filter sheet, is a sheet of glass / resin which can be bought separately and tailored to the needs, eg Gradual ND, ND stops 3x, 6x stops, 10x stops, etc. Both this section can be seen in the photo below.
|Haida 150mm Filter System|
In this filter system, I give an example of how to install this filter system on the Nikon 14-24mm f / 2.8g ED lens, the other lens could be different way to install.
1. Holder Installation, you need to do is remove its lens from the camera body once, then insert the first ring holder on the rear of the lens body. Combine with the center by turning the screw (thread) on the second part of the holder, make sure the front camera lens hood into the part. After a round screw tight enough, then the lens can be mounted on the camera body. At this stage, you keep this holder on its lens during the trip and is inside a camera bag. (See photo below)
|Pemasangan Filter HOLDER|
2. Filter’s Clamp, before taking the picture, attach a sheet of filter required may be one or two filters stacked on the filter’s clamp, by sliding and enter into his brace, then after his mounted filter, this filter plug clamp (already existing filter ) to its holder on the lens. Once installed it is ready to do your photo shooting.
|Complete Set after installation|
1. Be careful in installing / removing the sheet filter to / from its clamp, make sure when enter in the flat position and parallel to the rail of his holder. To prevent damage to the clamp and its filter sheets. Remember 150mm sheet filter system is not the cheap stuff.
2. Make sure you install the holder on the lens when you are still at home, while the clamp and its filter can be installed while location shooting. This is to avoid its lost your time while shooting and prevent of the entry of dust into the camera’s sensor when you uninstall and install ultra wide lens.
3. Bring a lens cleaning cloth for cleaning your front glass of ultra wide lens and filters, given the ultra wide lens front most convex and large, as well as your filter is relatively large, it will quickly get dirty easily during a photo shooting session.
4. Do the experiment yourself, how to influence the outcome filter your photos with different the camera settings, and try with different weather condition. Never was in a hurry, but do it slowly, accurately and surely. Discover your own style and pattern.
Watu Bolong beach as assigned photo shot location, is located exactly on the east side Drini Beach, which is one of the southern Java coast range that Baron beach. Approximately 2-3 hours by car or motobike can be reached from the city center, with the route, Yogyakarta – Road Wonosasri – Piyungan – Wonosari – Baron coast highway – Drini Beach. Forwarded by walking along the footpath from the Drini Beach.
This Landscape photo assignment purpose to try the result of Haida 150mm new filter system that I bought at a local camera store in Yogyakarta. Filter system that I use here is reserved for Ultra Wide Lens AFS Nikon 14-24mm f / 2.8g ED.
|Haida 150mm filter system|
For those who are new to wear this system, do not get confused because all there in the instructions leaflet, is the installation of this filter system requires us to remove the lens from the camera body much earlier, so that its holder can be rotated and paired with its filter holder.
After that, the new camera can be screwed into its body and its replaceable filter. His own Filter Sheets standard width of 150mm and can be paired 2-3 layers at once, for example GND filter stacked with ND filter.
Here is below sample shots landscape photo in Watu Bolong Beach, included camera settings (EXIF),
I’m having trouble making html link on the photographs which I will include in my blog articles. For a while I decided to give dg link source of Nikon Image Space.
Here’s an example link from Nikon Image Space site:
Finally, after get searching some website, I’ve got to put my google photo into my blog here. It’s simple.
<img class=”aligncenter wp-image-249 size-large” src=”Paste html link here” /></a>
Here is below of google photo link that is working:
Here is insert media direct from wordpress:
|My House from the air | From Drone|
Several years ago, I was amazed and flabbergasted that someone who can shoot of Prambanan temple, tall buildings in Jakarta city from the air. Looked absolutely stunning; perhaps this is because we rarely see the appearance of the land, another object within a relatively close distance. I desire to know more about the aerial photography, led to the unmanned aircraft equipment, which is often called “Drone”.
|DJI Phantom 3 Professional | From Drone|
In recent months, Drone no longer high price which was more than $2000. And recently it’s only view hundreds dollars for simple Drone. This is due to the rapid advancement of technology and the many research and development in this device. However the price of Drone still fairly expensive for general photographer or videographer enthusiasts in Indonesia. The most inexpensive price drones that can be attached with GoPro cameras costing nearly US$1,000. There are several Drone below US$500, but of course with the limitations of the camera resolution and duration of flying time. Modern drones and for amateurs, usually have a battery power source that can hold up to fly approximately 20 minutes – 25 minutes.
|4K Camera | From Drone|
Equipped with a tiny camera attached to the bottom with a flexible holder called Gimbal; which can rotate up, down; some are able to rotate left, right to 360 degrees. The most popular today is the camera drones that can achieve 4K resolution (4,000 pixels) – truly remarkable progress. Just imagine; with HD resolution (720 pixels) or UHD (1080 pixels) only, the displayed video have been alreay so clear. So with 4K resolution – a video produced will be cleaner and sharper as crystal clear…!
|Remote Control | From Drone|
Remote control function for controlling the movement Drone start of the takeoff, in flight, and landing. Some of remote controls can be connect to Gadget (Smartphone, Tablet, Computer); then all the pictures out of the camera will be displayed in a “live view” or realtime. In fact all of the camera controls still photography and videography all can be controlled and commanded from a remote control itself or your gadget.
Practice… Practice… and Practive….!
|Practice… Practice… Practice… | From Drone|
I’m still learning and get familiar how to take good composition aerial pictures, either Landscape, Architecture, or urban. Currently, there are more important than photography or videography, that is how I can get used to and skilled in manuevering Drone while flying; for example, the movement of “difficult” as flying arround of objects (orbital), or track down in narrow river or slope, movement up or down while rotating (yo-yo), and others.
In the meantime, I am still enjoying my Drone with simple movements. There are several stages before you fly the drone and must be thorough and get patient. Do it slowly and carefully. When the first fly, I hit a wall of my house and had also fallen because snagged kite string.
I may to write easy guide once I use to fly with my Drone, of course I will share in my next blog posts. Below is my video of Plaosan Temple, in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
DJI Phantom 3 Professional
My photo gallery in youtube